Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cutting Hair For Cancer Patients



Recently, 28 students (including me) and 8 staff members of my school particapated in what is called "The Ponytail Drive." 72 ponytails worth of hair were donated to the Pantene Beautiful Length Campaign to make wigs for the American Cancer Society. Everyone got cut at least 8 inches off their hair, 9 inches came off my hair! Krista, a girl in my grade, got 15 inches cut off! Can you imagine? A guy in 8th grade even particaped. Unfortunately, my aunt Laura (http://www.creativelytangled.etsy.com/) and my Grandpa was just dignosed with cancer and both eventually going through chemo. Cutting my hair made me feel good inside to know I helped a cancer paitent just like my aunt Laura and my Grandpa. Somehow someway I hope they figure out a cure to cancer because everywhere I look someone has it, and it is depressing.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

what an incredible thing to do on your own and for you all to do it together is wonderful! (we've been praying for your aunt)

Lickety Split said...

Hey Kelly, great blog post!
I think what you did was great,
I am very proud of you.
Love the pic of you and Tuggie wearing Polarity's (polarity.etsy.com) locket
featuring Kendra's art.

f2images said...

What a touching article Kelly! My heart and thoughts go out to your aunt and grandpa. That's so special that you young ladies participated in such a worthy cause. All the best.

Emiko ;)

Jess said...

What a great thing to do! and so sweet! I also have had family members with cancer so I can relate, my grandmother passed a few years ago of cancer and my 2 year old nephew has it...you guys are awesome for donating your hair!

laura slocum said...

Kell, we should have just kept your hair and pasted it on my head................ :)
Great blog post Kelly - thanks for doing that - i love all your pictures, too! you're a cutie!!!!

lillyella said...

Thats so great of you, kelly! I have donated my hair 3 times now and it feels so good. I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts.

laura slocum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Endless Sunner said...

What a wonderful thing for you to do, Kelly! My thoughts are with your family.

Some Stuff About Me!

My photo
Dallas, Pennsylvania, United States